Flu season is never a picnic. And it’s the deadly flu seasons like 2018 that tend to stand out in your memory. Hopefully, the haunting news helps to illustrate the importance of hygiene, nutrition supplements and getting your Asheville flu shot that you can get as easily as stopping in to your compounding pharmacy in Asheville.
As the season drags on from late fall to the middle of spring, you need all the help you can get to avoid getting sick. If you’re like most busy professionals, you won’t get the opportunity to lie down until you feel better. Your work and your family rarely afford you the luxury of down time.
An Ounce of Prevention
Children and the elderly are usually hit hardest when the flu comes to town. But being an adult, even when you’re at the peak of fitness, doesn’t exempt you from the flu. Influenza does not discriminate.
In addition to getting a flu shot, there are proactive steps you can take toward prevention:
- Avoid close contact with sick people whenever possible.
- Wash your hands incessantly.
- Carry (and use) hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces in your car, home and office.
Good News, Bad News
The bad news: flu season isn’t over just because the weather gets a little warmer. Some strains have been known to hold on as late as the middle of May, though influenza usually hits its peak between the months of December and February.
The good news: there’s a pharmacy in Asheville that takes personalized medicine and nutrition supplements to the next level of medical care, even for the flu.
See your doctor immediately if you think you’ve come down with the flu and let your pharmacists at your compounding pharmacy in Asheville put together your care-package of prescriptions and supplements to help you mend.
At Your Friendly Pharmacy, Get Your Asheville Flu Shot
Flu shots aren’t 100 percent effective, but they’re still touted as the first line of defense against the flu. You don’t need to go to the doctor’s office either to get the preventative shot. Your pharmacy in Asheville can take care of that on the spot — and with no appointment.
And talk to your pharmacist about which nutrition supplements are vital to add to your flu-fighting arsenal:
- Green tea extract has been shown to have significant flu-fighting abilities. Researchers at the University of Florida found some pretty impressive results:
- When taken as a preventative, green tea extract can reduce your chances for contracting the flu by 32 percent.
- When taken after getting sick, symptom days decreased by 36 percent.
- Elderberry is another nutrition supplement that’s showing promise for treating the flu. It increases production of immune cells and also hinders the virus’s ability to spread.
- Garlic is known for stimulating the immune system and fighting viruses.
- Ginseng, when taken for the duration of flu season, also lowers your risk for contracting a cold or the flu.
- Echinacea is a popular herbal remedy that your pharmacy in Asheville carries to help reduce the severity of your flu symptoms.
- Vitamin D nutrition supplements fill in the gaps you miss from not being out in the direct sunlight when it’s cold out.
- Zinc supplements fill in another blank that’s often deplete in men and women, because chances are you can’t possibly eat enough to provide you with sufficient levels of its immune-boosting powers.